Associate Department Head of Biomedical Engineering
Teaching Professor of Biomedical Engineering
B.S. Mechanical Engineering (Option in Biomedical Engineering), Carnegie Mellon University, 1991
Ph.D. Bioengineering, The Pennsylvania State University, 1997
Dr. Zapanta’s primary teaching responsibilities are Biomedical Engineering Laboratory and Design. Additional teaching interests include medical device design education and professional issues in biomedical engineering. Dr. Zapanta’s responsibilities as Associate Department head include overseeing the undergraduate curriculum and undergraduate student advising.
Dr. Zapanta’s research interests are in developing medical devices to treat cardiovascular disease, focusing on the areas of cardiac assist devices and prosthetic heart valves.
Dr. Zapanta is an active member in the American Society for Artificial Internal Organs, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the American Society for Engineering Education, and the Biomedical Engineering Society. He is a reviewer for several biomedical engineering journals. Dr. Zapanta also serves as a reviewer for the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Cardiovascular Sciences Small Business Special Emphasis Panel and as an ABET Program Evaluator (PEV) for Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering programs.
- Jahanmir S, Hunsberger AZ, Heshmat H, Tomaszewski MJ, Walton JF, Weiss WJ, Lukic B, Pae WE, Zapanta CM, Khalapyan TZ. Performance characterization of a rotary centrifugal left ventricular assist device with magnetic suspension. Artificial Organs. 32(5):366-375, 2008.
- Lukic B, Zapanta CM, Khalapyan T, Connell J, Pae WE, Myers JL, Wilson RP, Ündar A, Rosenberg G, Weiss WJ. The effect of left ventricular function and drive pressures on the filling and ejection of a pulsatile pediatric ventricular assist device in an acute animal model. ASAIO Journal. 53(3):379-84, 2007.
- Zapanta CM, Dourte LM, Doxtater BJ, Lukic B, Weiss WJ. Mechanical heart valve performance in a pulsatile pediatric ventricular assist device. ASAIO Journal. 53(1), 87-96, 2007.
- Ündar A, Ji B, Lukic B, Zapanta CM, Kunselman AK, Riebson JD, Khalapyan T, Baer L, Weiss WJ, Rosenberg G, Myers JL. Comparison of hollow fiber membrane oxygenators with different perfusion modes during normothermic and hypothermic CPB in a simulated neonatal model. Perfusion, 21(6), 381-90, 2006.
- Zapanta CM and Manning K. Development of an artificial organ design course. American Society of Engineering Education 2006 Conference and Exposition, June, 2006.
- Ündar A, Ji B, Lukic B, Zapanta CM, Kunselman AK, Reibson JD, Weiss WJ, Rosenberg G, Myers JL. Quantification of perfusion modes in terms of surplus hemodynamic energy levels in a simulated pediatric CPB model. ASAIO Journal, 52(6), 712-717, 2006.
- Yamanaka H, Rosenberg G, Weiss WJ, Snyder AJ, Zapanta CM, Siedlecki CA. Short-term in vivo studies of surface thrombosisin a left ventricular assist system. ASAIO Journal, 52(3), 257-265, 2006.
- Zapanta CM, Griffith JW, Hess GD, Doxtater BJ, Khalapyan T, Pae WE, Rosenberg G. Micro-textured materials for circulatory support devices. ASAIO Journal, 52(1), 17-23, 2006.
- Lukic B, Zapanta CM, Griffith K, Weiss WJ. A study of the effect of the diastolic and systolic duration on valve cavitation in a pediatric pulsatile ventricular assist device. ASAIO Journal, 51(5), 546-550, 2005.
- Yamanaka H, Rosenberg G, Weiss WJ, Snyder AJ, Zapanta CM, Siedlecki CA. Multiscale analysis of surface thrombosis in vivo in a left ventricular assist system. ASAIO Journal, 51(5), 567-577, 2005.
- Zapanta CM. Effects of atrial arrhythmias on the in vitro performance of a monoleaflet heart valve. Artificial Organs, 29(8), 636-641, 2005.
- Zapanta CM, Snyder AJ, Weiss WJ, Cleary TJ, Reibson JD, Rawhouser MA, Lewis JP, Pierce WS, Rosenberg G. Durability testing of a completely implantable electric total artificial heart. ASAIO Journal, 51(3), 214-223, 2005.
- Ündar A, Zapanta CM, Reibson JD, Souba M, Lukic B, Weiss WJ, Snyder AJ, Kunselman AR, Pierce WS, Rosenberg G, Myers JL. Precise quantification of pressure-flow waveforms of a pulsatile VAD during chronic support. ASAIO Journal, 51(1), 56-59, 2005.
- Zapanta CM, Stinebring DR, Deutsch S, Geselowitz DB, Tarbell JM. A method to compare the cavitation potential of prosthetic heart valves based on valve closing dynamics. Journal of Heart Valve Disease, 7(6), 655-667, 1998.
- Zapanta CM, Stinebring DR, Sneckenberger DS, Deutsch S, Geselowitz DB, Tarbell JM, Snyder AJ, Rosenberg G, Weiss WJ, Pae WE, Pierce WS. In vivo observation of prosthetic heart valve cavitation. ASAIO Journal, 42(5), M550-M555, 1996.
- Zapanta CM, Liszka EG, Stinebring DR, Deutsch S, Geselowitz DB, Tarbell JM. Real-time in vitro observation of cavitation on prosthetic heart valves. Transactions of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 116(4), 460-468, 1994.